Today I want to keep this one short - me!!! Yes short. Want to show a useful tip for when Im working in Proloquo2Go.
Imagine a scenario: Setting up a folder for Elysha. "Go Fish" card game. We want pictures of all the cards included in a basic set of playing cards. Directions and comments are fine using symbols available on Proloquo2Go but I want the playing cards actual photos.
Firstly I need to have wireless internet available, I go to 'Image Google' and type in what I want. In this instance I found it quicker and easier to request the actual card i.e. 10 of diamonds, than just words like 'playing cards'. I click on each of the images and then tap on 'save image' (they will automatically go to my photos section in the iPad). I try to pick images that are as similar to each other as possible to try and make the buttons look consistant.
Now I want to use those images in Proloquo2Go. Remember that images even though available on 'image google' may have copyright attached to them. I always pick images that dont have any copyright imprint but that doesnt mean I can use just cause they are there. I do think along the lines that this is for a communication program just for Elysha and hope in this instance its okay.
I dont plan to pass on or sell to anyone. If you were really worried about this issue your alternatives is to try and find images that dont have copyright attached or purchase photos thru the photo royalty free websites that will sell to you at about $1.00 an images for person use (not for resale of producing products to sell).
Now Im ready to start adding the buttons inside the folder I have made called "Go Fish". Just incase I will want image google available as well and a photo editing program incase I need to resize and my photo app incase I want to check where the photo I want is etc.
First I am going to shut all the other programs open on the iPad. If you are not aware, even though you hit the home button to go out of a program it is still open on the iPad in the background somewhere. I often go thru and close all these especially if Elysha has been using my iPad as she just loves opening as many Apps as possible. to do this:
As you can see I have accessed the bottom part here that shows me what Apps are available. To access this section I can do one of two very simple actions:
- I can place four finger tips on the screen and make an upward push with those fingers still resting on the screen. Basically your screen fades out all the apps on the screen and you will now be able to see a line of the Apps open. OR
- A simple quick double tap on the HOME button. That button we push each time we want to exit an App or to turn the Device on when its gone to sleep mode.
Being able to close all those open Apps can come in really handy after the kids have opened just about every app on your device.
I'm now going to open Proloquo2Go by a single tap on the Proloquo2Go image. Once the program is open I will go into Elysha's Vocabulary as I have called this User. I have then gone into the 'Fun' Folder & I have made a Folder Called 'Go Fish'
The photos section has opened and I click on Playing cards. But I find I havent actually saved a 'ten of diamonds' so I will need to find an photo. I want to go to Safari but dont want to keep closing and opening programs so the easy way is to do one of the following three options:
- Place four finger tips on the screen and push upwards to open that bottom window on the iPad and then tap on Safari icon
- Double click on the HOME button of the iPad which again opens the bottom window of the iPad and againjust tap on the icon for the program I need, or
- I can place my finger tips on the iPad screen but this time at the right hand or left hand side of the screen with the fingers running down the screen not across as they were for pulling screen up or down. You will be pulling across the screen because you are looking for the program that was opened either before or after the one you are in.Each time you swipe across it takes you to the next program that was opened. so if say you have only three programs open you do the swipe and it takes you to next program then swipe back the other way to go back to the program you just left or swipe again to go to the next program. Remember all four finger tips must be touching the screen.
Now why dont you try it and see how you go setting up something of your own.
Also check out the 'Fun Folder' in Proloquo2Go and then tap on 'Games' - here are all those instructions, comments etc we all try to think of. No need to remake just use in this folder or link this folder to another you have set up or Copy and Paste the buttons you need.
Will finish here and share something else in a couple of days or I will never stop.
UPDATE on last article on Webinars, another great Proloquo2Go resource.
Yes all the webinars for the updates and How to do this or that are available thru YouTube. No having to log on, and you can sit and watch on your iPad. Brilliant.
Try the above tricks I mentioned and watch the video footage, pause go to Proloquo2Go and try out the steps. Easy peasy.